Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)


To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) so your college can determine how much financial need you have.  Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first.  The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid. Not all schools participate.  Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG.

How much money can I get?

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds at your school.
Each participating school receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year.  In other words, FSEOG funds are first come, first served. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student.
So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can. Each school sets its own deadlines for campus-based funds.  You can find a school’s deadline on its website or by asking someone in its financial aid office.

What is the deadline date for the Coast Community College District?
March 2, 2013 for the 2013-2014 award year.

What are the eligibility requirements?
Students must be enrolled in a full time (12 credit hours) program of study at their home institution in order to receive the Grant.

What are the award amounts?
The maximum award is $600 which is paid $300 in Fall and $300 in Spring.